Caritas Švicarske Sarajevo - Savjetnik za proizvodnju voća
Job Title: Advisor for Fruit Production (m/f) (national position)
Unit: Office of Caritas Switzerland in Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H)
Duty Station: Sarajevo (With frequent travelling to the field across B&H)
Start of Assignment: August 2017
Reporting to: Head of Project
Duration:1 year contract with a possible extension based on performance and depending on available funding.
Caritas Switzerland is a non-governmental aid agency and member of Caritas Internationalis. Caritas works worldwide and adheres to international humanitarian principles (NGO code of conduct). Caritas Switzerland is involved in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a main focus on Rural Development and Social Inclusion. We seek a dynamic person as Project Manager with expertise in Agriculture and Value Chain Development for our project Income Generation in the Agricultural Sector (IGAS). Based in our Country Office in Sarajevo she/he will be responsible for planning, implementation, supervision and monitoring of the project activities of the IGAS project and for providing additional guidance and consultation for a separate agricultural project that is currently ongoing in the Republic of Kosovo.
- Participate in selection of farmers, participating in the project;
- Participate in distribution of agricultural inputs (e.g. seedlings and production materials) to farmers;
- Visiting farmers to identify and evaluate their technical requirements, capacity and knowledge;
- Actively promoting of applying integrated (IP) and organic (OP) production standards;
- Assisting farmers and farmers’ organizations as well as advisory services with business planning, planning applications, government grant applications, legislative advice and new business ventureswith a particular focus on fruit/berry production;
- Facilitates exposure visits for participating farmers;
- Advise farmers and farmers organizations in procurement of agricultural inputsin BiH;
- Ensure professional training and agricultural extension for participating farmers;
- Collecting and analyzing data, crop yield and financial reports to measure performance;
- Organizing and conducting field trials to find solutions to farmers’ problems;
- Planning and implementing improvements for the farmers such as using more effective pest control measures;
- Organizing presentations, demonstrations, training and farm walks for farmers and their organizations, professional bodies and other interested groups;
- Communicating effectively, both in writing and orally, with farmers, colleagues and members of the public;
- Contribute to writing advisory leaflets, technical notes and possibly press releases and articles;
- Marketing and promoting consultancy services to new farmers, while maintaining existing farmers relationships;
- Support senior project staff in negotiating with any providers/sellers of seed or other materials related to agriculture;
- Researching and keeping up to date with any relevant developments in agriculture;
- Undertaking administrative duties, managing budgets and accounts, updating information and preparing reports;
- Liaises with academia on behalf of the project for their stronger involvement and exchange.
- Contributes to documentation of any relevant conferences, meetings or other correspondence;
- Operates a database, keeping abreast on information of participating farmers (e.g. on farm statistic, visit statistic, all relevant information about the crops)
- Keep himself up to date in the sector of fruit growing (internet, papers, books)
- Liaison and networking with other relevant stakeholders, organizations, agronomists and institutions
- Reports to the Head of Project immediately about important issues and propose concrete solutions;
- Reports about any meetings within the weekly reporting to the Head of Project;
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in agriculture or another relevant subject, such as crop and plant science, horticulture, soil science, agricultural engineering, environmental science.
- Longstanding (min 5 years) in the cultivation and/or marketing of fruit/berry production
You will need to have:
- Communication skills, for establishing and developing relationships with farmers and clients;
- Marketing, negotiation and advisory skills, for the development of new business opportunities;
- Technical and analytical skills with the ability to explain findings clearly;
- The ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team;
- Avalid driving license for vehicles.
- Basic computer skills.
If you feel you fit the required profile, please let us know how your qualifications, experience and career aspirations match the requirements of this position.
Send your application latest by 30th of July 2017 via email to
indicating “Advisor Fruit Production – BiH 2017” in the subject line.
Please provide a Motivation Letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) with details of your qualifications, experience, present position and remuneration, earliest date of availability, telephone contacts and names of three referees. Qualified women are especially encouraged to apply!
Note that applications without Motivation Letter or CV may not be considered for shortlisting!