UNDP - Područni asistent
Title: Field Assistant
Job ID: 13924
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment and Energy
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 24/01/2018
Duty Station: Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
BIH citizens only
From an energy consumption perspective, Bosnia and Herzegovina is characterized as a country with very high inefficiency within the residential, non-residential/public, industry and service sector. At the same time however, Bosnia and Herzegovina has one of the most significant energy conservation potentials in the region and could base its further mid-term economic development and generation of new employment on energy efficiency improvement measures in the residential and public sector. Currently, BiH consumes about 20% of its GDP on energy1, which is three times higher than in the U.S. and EU countries. Moreover, the average energy consumption of a public building in Bosnia and Herzegovina is three times higher than the EU average, categorizing them as completely energy inefficient buildings (in accordance to EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme – EMAS). In order to meet this energy intensive consumption demand, a significant amount of budget funds must be allocated for energy expenditures of public buildings (educational, health, cultural, municipal and entity/state institutions etc.) representing a major proportion of the already inadequate public budget.
Based on the results achieved so far, the Green Economic Development project (GED) has been developed and will focus on scaling-up and creation of self-sustainability within energy efficiency related activities in BiH and contribution to BiH‘s EU accession and fulfilment of Energy Community Treaty obligations. In order to achieve improvements in the sector, the project developed two set of aims (short-term and mid-term).
Create interest and motivate public sector buildings’ end-users to invest into energy efficiency by promoting grant co-financing;
- Develop capacity and skills of BiH government levels (systematic approach to decision making processes of energy efficiency investments);
- Achieve budget cost savings through implementation of EE projects in public sector buildings and reinvest savings into energy efficiency or other infrastructure projects.
- Institutionalize energy monitoring and reporting mechanisms / energy management;
- Generate employment of domestic workforce;
- Increase public awareness and understanding of EE benefits;
- Develop and adopt sustainable financial mechanisms for EE project financing (performance based granting, revolving mechanisms, soft-loans, etc.);
- Contribute to BiH’s EU accession (EPBD and EED directives);
- Lower the risk to enter EE investments/provide loans for EE investments in BiH.
The staff member will be based at the UNDP Regional office in Banja Luka with frequent travel across Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to management of the project within the areas assigned, focusing on quality control, from formulation to implementation, achieving the following results:
- Support to design and formulation of work plans, financial and procurement plans within the area of responsibility, translating project goals into local/cantonal/entity and national interventions;
- Support to Project Manager in coordination of project implementation with project team and other implementing partners;
- Introduction of performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Contribute to finalization of contribution agreements, determination of required revisions, contribute to formulation of mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises;
- Ensure financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the project, identification of operational and financial problems and development of solutions;
- Assist in evaluation of the project impact. Monitoring and analysis of the project environment and timely adjustments if identified;
- Monitoring and collection of GED project indicators for reporting purposes.
Support to creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to Project Manager in development of partnership with all government levels in BiH, international financial institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation , identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Support to the Project Manager/ in effective gender equality knowledge capture and sharing
- Support Project Manager in knowledge management on gender equality issues as well as that knowledge is incorporated in activities and products of the Country Office (CO);
- Support manager in dissemination and sharing relevant data and lessons learned within the CO and regionally;
- Ensures that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs related to the project, are gender and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view;
- Ensures minimum 30% participation of the other gender in the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings/commissions.
Functional Competencies/Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining information and databases
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Resource Mobilization/Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Maintains database of project files;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to data analysis, collecting and preparation of documentation, data processing and consolidating, filing, provision of information;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems.
Client Orientation/Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively both orally and in written;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities;
- Remains calm, in control and good humor even under pressure;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary school education is required; University degree would be an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience at the national or international level, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Understanding of the key environmental issues facing BiH, their relationship to sustainable development, social inclusion and poverty reduction;
- Experience in implementation of construction works (civil engineering and mechanical engineering) would be considered as an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and in BHS languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.